Car Cover at the Airport

Michael:

> >My daily driver E46 is sitting out in the elements at an
airport...I'm debating a car cover but I'm afraid it would be worse
> >to cover it than to just let it sit.  There's a nice coat of wax on
the paint and I hand wash it a couple times a month (when I'm home).

> >Any words from the wise regarding external care for non-garaged
BMW's in salt-infested climates?

When I was having my new garage built 10 years or so ago, I had to park the M3
outside.   I bought a good outdoor car cover that really fit well and had no
problems with storing it for several months on the street.   No mildew, no
paint rubbing off.   They work if you get a good one that fits well.   Mine
was a multi layer breathable but waterproof material and it was made for my
model car.  Has a clear plastic area for the rear license plate to show
through.  This was necessary for parking on the street and may be needed for
parking at the airport.    Covers also provide some protection against door
dings.

The big issue with outdoor parking is not salt.  It's UV.   UV rays really can
fade paint over time.   If you're parking it all week outside most weeks, you
may be smart to consider a cover.   If you have salt or lots of dirt on your
car from bad weather, just leave the cover in the trunk.

The stand-up garages would be a problem at the airports I park at.  If you're
an airline employee, you may be able to park in a special lot and work out
some priveledges, but busy commercial lots don't generally like these because
they take up more than one space and there is a liability issue with them
blowing away into another car.  If you're a regular customer and can park in a
desolate part of the lot, they may work something out with you.  You'll have
to check with whoever operates the lot.

If you do decide to use a cover.  Make sure the your car is clean and make
sure your cover is clean before you use it.   Lots of trapped dirt between the
cover and the paint is not good.

A coat of wax and good washing technique with plenty of water a good
non-abrasive brush made for this use and minimal rubbing is the best thing you
can do to preserve the finish, but the color will last longer and look better
if you keep the car covered or in a garage.   Silver is popular because it is
nearly immune to fading and doesn't show dirt and scratches.   My M3 is Avus
blue, which is a deep rich complex color.  I'm very careful to keep it out of
the sun when I can.   My daily driver is silver.

If your car is silver or white, I'd leave it alone.  If it's black or another
dark color, you may be on the right track considering a cover.  It's a bit of
a PITA, but might make a huge difference in the look of your car 5 years from
now.  You're call.

- -TB