From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Panichas, George E
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 10:18 AM
To: oilheads-digest
Subject: Oil leak

While having the 36k service done on my 2001 R1100RL (a pampered bike that
has
been scrupulously maintained), I was informed of an oil leak between the
motor
and transmission. I was a bit surprised because I've never seen any oil,
never
experienced any clutch slipage, and oil use is pretty much what it has
always
been. Also, I think 36k is more than a little bit young for this sort of
problem. So I have some questions for the group:

1. The service guys say this is a serious repair that will require some 10
hours of work and, if the clutch needs to be replaced, the whole package
will
be around $1200. Does this strike you as reasonable?

2. Given the relatively low mileage, should I be raising hell with BMW and
ask
them to chip-in on this? Of course, years-wise, the bike is long out of
warranty. But I certainly think that rear seals should be good for more than

36k.

3. As noted, I've experienced no clutch slipage to date, and want to
continue
to ride the bike putting off the repair for now. Is it safe to do this? I
assume oil leaks of this type worsen over time. Does anyone know how much,
how
fast, etc.?

All advice is appreciated.

George Panichas