Re: Loose system cases

<<The system cases (standard size and lids) are original - came with
the R1100RS in 1999. They seem be getting loose on their moorings -
not enough to worry about losing them, but they do rattle and bounce
- maybe 1/8 - 3/16" vertical play. Maybe it's my imagination, but I
seem to recall they were snug, once upon a time.

I wonder if there is a way to adjust the latch mechanism? I see the
cover to the latch on the inside of the case is riveted - before I
drill them out and play around in there, has anyone looked into this.
Are they adjustable (by design or by tinkering)? Leave well enough
alone?>>

There is no adjustment internally in the latch assembly. The looseness comes from a combination of wear points in the latch as well as the plastic mounts. Careful inspection will reveal a slight dimensional loss at each contact point. I have seen where some people glue small slabs of hard rubber at some of the contact points to tighten things up. That seems to work well.

I have been planning to put a little rubber in the "hook" from the latch on my R1100S, where it engages the underside of the top mount area. Haven't gotten a "round tuit" yet, so do not have any specifics on that yet.

Tom Cutter
Yardley, PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com
*Don't just stand there, DO SOMETHING!*