Re: GPS

John,
Tom summarized all.
I'd like to mention that, in my opinion, you should install the GPS as high as it is possible, may be a bit even higher..... since you have the same RS as I do I know the possibilities. I bought Touratech's lockable unit for the RS and installed it as per instruction. I rode 20 km and almost had two accident. After that I used the top-half of the support only and installed the unit almost eye level on the left hand side of the bar. Photo is available if wanted.

I found that waypoints are very useful for places you go sometimes but do not keep direction in mind. Also, I travel by waypoints if I have no particular address to go to. Here comes the touch screen most usefull. I got into an 8 lane traffic jamb going North in Chicago. Finaly I managed to get out of that and I found myself at a corner, not knowing where I was. I knew that I have to be on the West bound side of I-80 so I just touched I-80 on the screen, made it to a waypoint and pressed the button "gothere" It took me there.

In case you take the wrong turn (voice instruction sometimes not too acurate) it will say: "out route, recalculating" and will give you a new direction. As Tom said, use "fastest Route" always. Once, when I used the shortest way, it took me through farm lands, gravel roads which were used for harvesting and there were markings: travel at your own risk.

If it's for nothing else, you can always see where you are, which town is coming up, if there is a river somewhere beside you etc. The "off route" option is also very useful. You put in an address and choose the third option of way travel. This will stretch a "rubber line" between you and the address at all times. You just have to shorten this line to get to its end. This is similar like flying by a radio line, like an "OMNI" instrument.

By changing "page" of the GPS you can see a list with milage to go, estimated time of arrival, just thee same way you would outline a trip on a paper. Change page ones ore and you will see how many settlelite are keeping your track, you present and the max. speed you reached, travelled milage and time etc.

I love the thing, and in spite having all buttons on its right hand side I can easily handle it with my left hand, winter gloves on. For placing waypoint on the map on route, I have a retractable thinn-string key-holder with a pointer at its end, this is hanging on my left shoulder, which I can grab with my right hand with gloves on and put an acurate point onto the touch-screen. In case you are travelling with friends, to bike-to-bike communication the GPS is the next best thing happened to biking (touring).
Bob Silas