RE: oilheads-digest V4 #210

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:03:01 -0400
From: "Buffton, William M." <wbuffton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fuel distrubution line replacement-HELP!!!

I have the unfortunate situation of needing to replace the plastic fuel
distribution lines on my 94 R1100RS due to the fact that some moron who
had previously worked on the bike used plyers on said plastic line in
order to get it apart from the rubber gas line and managed to perforate
the FD lines. The job looks like "disassemble entire bike, replace part,
and reassemble entire bike". I'm fine with the  removal of the fairing
and tank as well as lines but the issue of splitting the frame where it
joins the engine in order to remove the airbox is daunting to say the
least. While in principal  it appears to involve 2 bolts, cracking
things loose and removing the airbox, I'm having a hard time seeing it
as something that simple. While I'm by no means a mechanic, I  do have
tools and know the front of the bike from the back. Is this job
something that I should take to the dealer or am I making more of it
than it is? When the bolts are out, does one simply lift the subframe
away from the engine? Does it need to be moved much in order to get the
airbox out?
Any help from the brotherhood would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Will

Will Buffton, PSA/MH
Psychology
YFC#2
Hickory Run State Park
Whitehaven, Pa. 18661
Phone: 570-443-9524
Fax: 570-443-9177

Hi Will

Ive done it a couple of times to R&R the transmission on my R1100RT. It
looks more intimidating than it really is. Get a copy of the R11xx
factory tech manual. I can send you a link if you don't have it. It is
terse but complete.
It helps to be working in an area that has exposed rafters that you can
tie a rope to to hold the rear subframe up once you get it broken free.
Otherwise, plan on props of some kind to hold it up. It also helps to
have another pair of hands to guide wiring bundles into place and to
make sure nothing gets pinched or falls on the wrong side of another
part. You only need to raise it far enough to clear the airbox, much
less than pulling the transmission. The tricky part is making sure you
get all of the electrical connections separated and then reconnected.
Take lots of pictures of things like ABS brake line routing on the right
side. Tag both sides of electrical connections before separating.
There are a lot of parts that have to be removed and replaced in a
certain order, but nothing tricky or requiring Loctite or a torque
wrench unless you decide to do the splines "while you are in there".
Sometimes that is not a good idea and leads to much extra work and
wasted money. DAMHIKIJK.

Cheers,

Bob Covey
Thousand Oaks CA