From: Martin Lodahl [mailto:lodahl@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 3:40 PM
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: It's A Gas <burp!>

2010 was my lowest-mileage year in recent memory, and my poor old 2002
r1150r spent most of its time in the barn.  Last weekend was the annual
Airhead Tech Day at Darryl Richman's place in Santa Cruz, CA, and it was all
but unthinkable not to ride there, so I started the bike up and took it out
for a wash -- and smelled gasoline.  Fairly strongly.  As it's never been a
major ambition of mine to become a fireball sailing down the Interstate, and
as I didn't have the time to sort it out, I ended up driving down, and got
back to the issue today.

My working hypothesis was that it was some sort of issue involving the
O-rings in the quick disconnect fittings for the fuel tank, and when the
fuel pressure reached running levels there was some kind of small leak, so I
removed the fuel line cover and started the engine.  Again I smelled gas,
but couldn't see nor feel any sign of a leak, and after the engine ran for a
while I could no longer smell it.

I'm now going to suit up and go for a ride to see if that brings it back,
but it occurs to me to wonder if this isn't the sort of thing that can
happen if the O-rings dry out from inactivity, and the cure is to just ride
the damn thing.  Any wisdom to offer?

     - M

--
Martin Lodahl of Auburn, California