KTM 790 Adventure Oil Change
Wednesday, Aug 25 2021 [9,029 miles]
It’s close enough to the scheduled oil change mileage (9,300 miles). I’m doing a little more than an oil change, but not much. Today is oil change day. The bike is on the stand ready to go.
First things first. The skid plate is removed – 6 screws and one vent line – and cleaned. The screws were not tight at all. They don’t need much torque, but were looser than I like. I’ll use some loctite when I reinstall.
I wiped off the little bit of grime around the oil filter cover and drain plugs. As the engine was warming up I got everything ready to drain the oil. I waited until the engine temp hit it’s normal reading of 4 segments out of 8.
Oil drained. Oil filter removed. There is a little bit of schmutz on the magnets of both drain plugs. I cleaned the drain plugs for re-use as the screens were in good shape.
I installed the new oil filter and O-ring along with the cleaned drain plugs. After chopping off the end of a funnel so it would fit into the oil filler opening I added enough oil to bring the level to the middle of the sight glass. I know I’ll need more because the filter is empty and I’m using the rear stand – the bike is not level.
I ran the engine for a while while looking for leaks. None found. After turning the engine off I installed the skid plate. That gave time for the circulating oil to settle. Once the skid plate was in place I topped off the oil leve. I though I’d added a bit too much as it was near the top of the sight glass. Once I took the bike off of the rear stand the oil level was as shown in the third picture, above.
While the oil cap was off I filed off the corners. It’s easer to put the cap back on the bike this way. It could use a bit more filing, though. I still have to pull the tank away from the bike slightly. Next time.
Tomorrow I’ll check chain, air filter, fasteners, and give the bike a test ride.
Thursday, Aug 26 2021 [9,029 miles]
I’ve got time to finish servicing the bike.
I started out by cleaning the after market air filter I use. It was not very dirty. I ran a clean rag inside the airbox. There were no signs of dirt or dust. The air filter is doing its job. I put fresh grease around the lip before re-installing the filter for a good seal.
I hooked up my OBD II reader and checked for trouble codes. None found. when that was done I hooked up the charger to the battery. It signalled that it wanted to optimize the battery, I’ll let it do its thing.
I checked and cleaned the chain. Tires are OK and at pressure. Brakes are OK. So is the clutch adjustment. Fasteners are snug. The last thing to do, other than a test ride, is to reset the service interval. Done.
The test ride will wait until the battery charger is finished optimizing the battery.