Headlamp Protection Film
Friday, July 5, 2013
That is about $8 worth (1’ x 4’) of a self-adhesive film that I’m going to apply over the headlamp lens to provide a bit of extra protection. There’s enough there for me to do the job many times just in case it doesn’t come out perfect the first time.
Thursday, July 25 2013 [718 miles]
I had a little bit of time this afternoon so created some templates that I’ll use to cut the film. If I was smart I’d have printed off the first image after scaling to size and used it is a template. I still may do that to verify the templates I created by hand.
Edit: I did. The hand made templates are fine.
Friday, July 26 2013 [731 miles]
This afternoon I copied my paper template for the high beam to cardboard and compared the templates to a picture of the headlamp assembly scaled to actual size. The templates look OK. I used a sharpie to copy the patern to the film (the film has an outer protective coating) then cut to shape. The picture shows the first cut on the outside of the lines. The finished cut needs to be inside the sharpie outline.
I used some masking tape to hold the film in its proper place while trying to peel off the back to get to the stickum. That was the hardest part of the job. I wound up using an X-acto knive and a loupe to see what I was doing to get the back separated. It would have been easier to do before alignment, but then I’d only get one alignment shot.
If you look closely you’ll see a few small bubbles on the low beam film. It’s not that bad, but… I’ll try to remove the bubbles by applying heat later. If that doesn’t work I may pull the film off and try again. Or not. I’ll probably only notice it when washing the headlights.