DR650 Lowered foot-pegs
Wednesday, Sep 24 2014 [178 miles]
Also in the box from ProCycle was their lower foot pegs. I like this style because it lowers the pegs without reducing ground clearance. Mounting the pegs is easy. Adjusting the brake lever was a bit of work.
I started on the right side. The picture shows the removed stock peg next to the lowered peg and mounting bracket. The pegs are in the kit are a bit nicer than the stock Suzuki pegs. The spring is for the brake light switch.
Suzuki used lots of thread locker. I’ll do the same.
The peg pivot pin is held in place with a washer and cotter key. The cotter key is not fastened as you need to back the pin out at least as far as the bracket to make room for the mounting screw.
I installed the front screw loosly without thread locker for bracket positioning. I used thread locker on the rear screw. Once it was in place I removed the front screw, applied thread locker, and got it gud-n-tite.
With the bracket/pegs mounted I drove the pin back in place and added the washer and cotter key. Now for the brake.
The brake adjusting rod is too long to lower the brake lever to the level needed to work with the lowered pegs. The solution is to cut off a bit of the threaded rod. I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel and then touched up the sharp edge with a grinding stone. The slight damage to the initial threads was taken care by removing the adjusting nut I’d put on the rod before cutting.
With the brake back together I replaced the brake light switch spring. The spring comes un-bent. Bending it to fit wasn’t an issue. I noticed after it was back together, though, that I mounted it with the end toward the outside of the bike. The stock spring ends were toward the inside of the bike. I may change the way I mounted the new spring.
The left side of the bike was easier. Before removing the old pegs I checked the location of the shift lever with reference to the pegs. I mounted the pegs the same as I did on the right side. I remove the shift lever and moved it on the splined shaft so it was roughly in the same position relative to the pegs.
I like that the shift lever is now below the case. A fall on the left side shouldn’t drive the lever into the case. Done. But before a test ride I want to mount the Sargent saddle that arrived last night.