Home made sidestand foot extension

Monday, Aug 5 2013 [1288 miles]

I want to put a larger foot on my side stand but didn’t like what I was seeing from the usual after market vendors. I have some random hardware and a small sheet of 1/8” Aluminum. Bet I can make something.

Foot template

Foot template

Foot template
1/8 inch bare 6061-T4

1/8 inch bare 6061-T4

1/8 inch bare 6061-T4
Rough cut

Rough cut

Rough cut

Quite a while ago I came up with an approximate shape and made a template out of cardboard. I didn’t want to do any more until I had the new footpegs mounted. That happened last Friday. The template worked with the new footpegs so I used it to make a rough cut out of the 6061 aluminum.

About this shape

About this shape

About this shape
Drilled and tapped

Drilled and tapped

Drilled and tapped

Today I filed the rough cut to shape, finishing up with a sanding wheel on the dremel. It’s a little larger than the template which works when twisted slightly from my initial plan. The twist also minimizes the amount of extension where it could possibly interfere with my feet on the pegs.

I’m using some old M5 hardware with some M6 washers. I drilled and tapped the plate after marking the three spots where I want to grab the stock side stand. The hardware is too long. I’ll cut it to size later.

Test fit

Test fit

Test fit
Retracted

Retracted

Retracted
Doesn't interfere

Doesn’t interfere

Doesn’t interfere

This is my test fit. I decided the wavy washers didn’t work and switched to regular washers later. There is no interference with my feet, the center stand, and the center stand springs. I think this will work.

Cut/ground screws

Cut/ground screws

Cut/ground screws
Heating the paint

Heating the paint

Heating the paint
Ready for the rattle can

Ready for the rattle can

Ready for the rattle can
Watching paint dry

Watching paint dry

Watching paint dry

I replaced the washers and used loctite when re-installing the screws. The dremel tool came out to cut off the excess length of the mounting screws. A little bit of grinding made them more-or-less smooth. They are not quite flush with the bottom of the plate. I think they’ll be fine.

I put the rattle can in some hot water (paint flows better when warm), wiped the foot down with alcohol, and once dry masked off everything but the last inch of the side stand. I’m using a satin black paint because it was on the shelf. If it doesn’t match exactly I don’t care. The bike will soon enough be dirty enough that no-one will notice.

It only took a few seconds to spray the foot. One coat is all it’s going to get. It’s not like I’m worried about corrosion. Tomorrow I’ll remove the masking. I didn’t bother painting the bottom.

Tuesday, Aug 6 2013 [1296 miles]

First Use

First Use

First Use

It works.