Kneepads for the GSW

Sunday, December 8 2013 [5237 miles]

About a month ago I ordered some of the stick on kneepads for my tank pannels from Wunderlich. The manufacturer apparently couldn’t keep up with demand so I had to wait a bit. E-mail messages and phone calls from Wunderlich America let me know what was going on during the wait.

Wunderlich kneepads

Wunderlich kneepads

Wunderlich kneepads

This arrived last week. Of course I was busy. Then I didn’t feel all that great due to something I ate. When I felt better the garage temperatures fell to unusual lows for the bay area. Freezing temperatures are not common here. Today I decided it was warm enough in the afternoon. My heat gun will make up the difference.

Clean and wipe with alcohol

Clean and wipe with alcohol

Clean and wipe with alcohol
About there

About there

About there
Add guides

Add guides

Add guides

I cleaned the side panels where the pads will be mounted and wiped them down with alcohol to remove any grease/wax residue. I used masking tape to hold the pads on both side of the bike until they were placed about where I wanted. I then added a few pieces of masking tape to use as guides when sticking the pads to the bike.

The next step was the hardest… removing the green protection from the adhesive. The adhesive tape on the pads was applied in about ten separate strips. It gives great coverage while matching the contour of the pad but is a pain to remove.

Once the protective strips were removed I headed a bike side pannel with a heat gun until it was warm to the touch and then carefully applied the pad. Very carefully. Once the adhesive touches the tank panel it is not going to move. I held the pad slightly above the tank panel until I matched my masking tape guide and then applied pressure. And some more heat. Repeat for the other side of the bike. I hope it sticks (about 50F in the garage) and stays stuck.

Both sides

Both sides

Both sides
Looks OK

Looks OK

Looks OK

I think I got both sides in pretty much the same location. I’m happy with the look. Next ride I’ll find out if they function as well as I hope.