Re: GPS

In a message dated 12/2/2003 1:42:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, robert.silas@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Thanks for the help.  As I pointed out earlier I am a
> rookie on the subject
> of GPS(s) and I will have to study the subject.

Robert,
I too was worried about reading off the GPS at speed, and it did take some getting use to.  I have a street pilot b&w and find it very easy to use and very helpful.

A few things perhaps that will help.

If you pre-plot your route you are only looking briefly at turn directions and they are very intuitive.  you can set it up like a map or in road sign mode and it is a lot like driving on the interstate looking for your exit.

In plain map mode you don't really "read" the maps as you more develope a feel for where you are in the world.   It is hard to explain but the GPS become a very transparent tool once you get over the Awe of the device.  I drive with it no all the time and it is not more difficult to read than the speedometer or tach.  It is just displaying roads and information, you can interpet it as you want.

There is however an real learning curve on them and to use one on a moving motorcycle takes some time to learn.  And you should keep it simple unless you are stopped.

I know one thing, I don't want to be without one.

Paige