Re: Shocks (Now Southwest trip)

Bob,

One of my buddies did a write-up (with photos). I have it online at:
http://www.colorado-artist.com/bmw/swtour1999/swt.html

For me 600mi is a good day, but my friends felt 350 to 400 would be
near their limit. They ride faster, but don't last long...especially my
friend who sold his K75 and bought a VFR. Anyway, for this trip, I
planed a route with short hops. Even though it was early Spring, I
figured it would be crowded at the hot spots, so I made motel
reservations well in advance. Normally I don't care to pre-plan where
I'll be staying, but it paid off for this trip especially in Moab,
Bryce and Zion.

The write up mentions going up Zion Canyon. 1999 was the last year one
could ride or drive up. Now it's closed to traffic and only shuttle
buses are allowed. Personally I think it's an improvement. Although it
was fun to ride the canyon, when it was busy it was a zoo. What I've
done recently is to stay at the motel along the canyon. You can drive
part way up the canyon to the motel.

To get a cabin there, I had to book it a year in advance. Something to
consider if you want to spend some time there and hike around the
canyon. There is also a hotel within the boundaries of Bryce. I didn't
stay there, but it looked nice. If you want to hike around in Bryce, it
might be worth staying there since you can start hiking right from your
room. We didn't stay near the Grand Canyon, it was a drive-by day, but
if you want to spend some time there, you'll definitely have to book
something well in advance.

Plan for wide ranging temperatures. It can get toasty during the day,
but things can cool off at night, so mornings are normally chilly. The
north rim of the Grand Canyon is surprisingly high. A couple of days
before we went through, it had snowed 6 inches. You might check around,
but I think snow is a possibility in October. Here's a page about the
north rim which mentions something about it closing mid-October...
http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/grandcanyon.htm

We stayed at Chama. It was quiet in the spring, but will be busy in the
Fall because it has narrow gauge train rides up a near by pass to see
the changing aspens. The train rides shut down mid-October too...
http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/TrainRides.shtml

The fellow who did the write up was worn out riding the VFR, so Chama
is the last stop in his report. My BMW buddy and I continued down to a
BMW rally at Jemez Springs (near Los Alamos) and then spent a week
exploring the back roads from Santa Fe to Taos.

That's it...it should make a good Fall trip too...

Karl