RE: oilheads-digest V1 #49

Stan Rife wrote:

>	What is it that you are looking for BMW to change about the
>bikes...what is it that keeps you from buying a new model.

Current styling is stale.

100 honest RWHP

At least 75 fewer pounds.

The ability to have ABS exclusive of linked brakes or servo assist.

>Ever think that you are just being toooooo picky?

Heavens no, ever think you're too easy to please?

>Like I said in my previous post, BMW is
>not going to make a tailor made bike to anyone's specifications.  They make
>them to their specifications and you just have to live with it.

No, I don't.  I'm living with their 1975 and 1995 specifications just
fine.  I want their 2005 specification to be technologically and
aesthetically in the same half decade as the rest of the industry.

>I think
>sometimes they add or change things that wind up being bad choices. Given
>enough customer feedback or bad sales figures these things eventually get
>changed. I don't think they are any different than any other manufacturer.
>One or two, or even a half dozen, people complaining on a mailing list isn't
>going to have much of an effect.

Oh, gosh, help, NO, don't...start...talking
about...transmissions...surging...AHAAAAAAHAAH

>	What do you find in other bikes that you have bought that BMWs do
>not have.

Sadly, what I have found is most of what BMW offers (excluding the
"mystique") at lower purchase and operating costs, with equal or
greater reliabilty.

>I don't think you will find all of the qualities you are looking
>for in any one bike. And there are as many different opinions about those
>qualities as there are people riding motorcycles. BMW is like any other
>manufacturer...they are trying to please everybody with 4 or 5 motorcycles.
>It's just not possible.

I've said it many times.  I probably couldn't be closer to BMW
Motorrad's core demographic, particularly since I'm a multi previous
owner.  I should be an *easy* sale for BMW.  Smart companies please
the core first.  BMW seems to be ignoring that group, *and* seems to
be standing still technologically and stylistically.  If they do
that, my RS (and apparently for him, Robert's two RSs) will be just
fine.

- --
____________________________________
Don MacQueen, Shelby NC