Re: Recent list discussions

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <rennsport@xxxxxxxxx>

| On Friday, Jan 16, 2004, at 22:25 US/Eastern, beemerphile1 wrote:
| > Robert, linked brakes actually have been around for a long time on
| > bikes in
| > one form or another.
| >   They provide a valuable safety advantage for the rider
| > who is not Joe racer but is the average cyclist who only rides a few
| > miles
| > once in a while.
|
| You mean the average guy who has never taken an MSF course and does not
| know proper braking techique. Linked braking is just covering up the
| average rider's lack of skill. Is that useful? I doubt it.

I imagine it sure is useful to the person who gets their ass saved.  BMW
riders probably have a far higher than average number of people who have
completed a training course of some type.  It is accepted as general belief
that BMW riders put above average mileage on their bikes.  However, I see
used BMWs frequently with very low miles on them.  I believe the average
rider probably does benefit by the fact that when he or she stomps on the
brake pedal in a panic it also operates the front brake.  This of course is
all just conjecture on my part but I believe it is an accurate assumption.
Your opinion obviously differs, that's okay.

Tim