Re: oilheads-digest V1 #111

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward Begley" <edbegley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <oilheads@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: oilheads-digest V1 #111

> I'd love to run a test on tires with guys that claim they can
tell the
> difference between them.

Tires are a little like oil. Everybody has a belief and a
preference.
And they will defend this belief.      :)

>In such a test I'd almost bet the farm that
> most(in fact hugely most 90% plus) COULD NOT identify correctly
which tire
> brand they had on.

In fact they probably could. But it implies that they have
experience with the brands in question. It also implies that they
have experience with a tire as it approaches its limits. IE a
track day. Just tooling around doesn't get a tire near its
limits, where differences really show up.

But as others have mentioned, basics like turn-in, performance in
the rain etc are easy to feel from one to the other. You don't
need to push to feel these.

>>Even Bill Stermer(sp?) who
> regularly reviews tires on BMW's says it is difficult if not
impossible to
> differentiate between any of the modern premium tires unless
you are a track
> racer capable and willing to push them to the limit on the
street.

I don't easily buy that. If you're just tooling along and never
approach 50% of a tire's performance -- maybe. Even then, other
characteristics are obvious. But if you push a little, the
personalities reveal themselves.

I've done a number of track days and have experience with only 2
brands. Michelin and Bridgestone. When riding (on the street or
track) I can tell the difference between a Michelin Pilot Sport,
a Bridgetsone 010, 012, 012SS, and 020. They behave and feel
different.

Now if I'm tooling along in the city, I probably won't tell the
difference between an 012 and an 012 SS. But on the track I will.
However, I can tell the difference between and 010 and an 020. Or
an 010 and a Pilot Sport. The differences are quite plain.

I've never tried a Dunlop, but I'm confident that I could tell
the difference between it and a Michelin or Bridgestone if I did.

>What you CAN tell big
> time is the difference between the old worn tires and the fresh
new rubber.
> Big difference there no doubt!

That's for sure!

Bruno