Re: cheap chain replacement

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <ABSDoug2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <oilheads@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 7:54 AM
Subject: RE: cheap chain replacement

> Point well taken. My room mate pointed this out to me today.
Had
> no idea chains were going for that much these days. Jesus,
> between tires and chains, the miles per dollars some of my
> friends spend must be WAY up there.

Chain wear depends a lot on a little basic care. Also on how it's
used.
A quality chain that is regularly lubed should easily last over
30k miles. Many VFR owners claim over 40k miles.

I get about 20K miles on the 929 before I replace them. I could
squeeze out more, but I don't. But a big percentage of those
miles are ridden in crappy weather ie wet.
Definitely a factor in reducing service life.

I also do track days. This obviously loads the chain. Now, if all
you do is tour at a sedate pace, the chain wears less.

On the other hand, a shaft drive doesn't care how crappy the
weather is. Nor does it care how dusty the conditions are.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
CBR 929
http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides/product_evals/sylvania/silverstar.htm