Re: Hydraulic Lifters

Tom Brown wrote...

> Pete:
>
> >I was pleased to hear about the counterbalance shaft in the new engine,
> >but I want more... anyone happen to know if BMW might have switched to
> >hydraulic valve lifters?  Not having to check/adjust valve clearances
> >would make these engines truly my ideal.
>
> The Hex Head engine has the same brilliant valve configuration as the Oil
> Head.

Oh well - we can't have everything, can we?  :)

>  Hydraulic Valves are heavier and don't allow the revs that solid
> lifters do.   Every effort is made to keep the valves easy to adjust (an
> eccentric rather than shims) and light (really short push rods etc.).

I know there are limitations, but I guess for the sake of my own desire to
ride rather than wrench I'd hoped that BMW might have made it happen.

> Heck,
> they even put the cylinders on the sides of the bike for you!   Try doing
> maintenance on a 4 valve Ducati.  You'll be back in the BMW camp in no time.

My motorcycling past is filled with Honda V4s.  Clearance checks and
adjustments on them can be a bit of a hassle too - that's part of what led
me to give an R1100R a try.  I wanted something simpler to maintain and
more relaxing to ride - no water cooling, no plastic, no chain, good
brakes (including ABS), good ergonomics and great suspension.  So far so
good with the R1100R.  The one thing I'm still coming to grips with is the
engine - truth be known I do miss the smoothness and top end zip of the
V4s but I've learned to wind the opposed twin out to get the best from it
even though it doesn't beg me to do so like the V4s did.  Still, choosing
a motorcycle is all about trade-offs and I'm happy for now.

> The Hex Head engine has a stock redline of 8 grand in GS form.   I found the
> engine to be very strong and willing at redline and hit the rev limiter more
> than a couple times.  It's the first GS I've ever ridden that didn't run out
> of breath at high RPMs.  We might expect another 500 to 1000 RPMs from the
> RT/RS and S versions of this engine.

I will be very interested to try an R1200R when such a machine emerges.  I
do wish the manufacturers would stop increasing engine capacity with every
new model though.

> I keep hitting neutral on the 1-2 shift on my RT, but didn't
> have this trouble with the Hex trans.

The Honda 'snick' is another thing I miss.  This is good news regarding
the new BMWs - I'll look forward to seeing how refined the transmission is
too.  Thanks for the information and your comments.