Re: Running rich

In a message dated 9/1/04 9:18:49 PM Eastern  Standard Time,
pieter_de_k@xxxxxxxxx writes:
The soot is black. The bike  doesn't misfire, but it does backfire
occasionaly.
What I am trying to  determine is why one cylinder runs richer than the other.
What part of the  fuel system (or ignition) could be out of balance to cause
this?

The  only things that come to mind as possibilities are: 1) Leaking injector
or  partially obstructed injector, causing an imbalance, or 2) an air leak in
the  intake tract on one side.

I am operating on the  ASSUMPTION that the damaged cylinder was repaired
totally correct, and that  there is no valve leakage. A cylinder leakdown tester
would answer that  question.

Also, maybe it isn't richer, but one side  has a weak spark caused by an open
spark plug resistor. Just swapping plug leads  from left to right would
reveal that condition.

Tom Cutter