Re: ABS Lights

Hello Chuck,

> I took what I thought would be the last ride of the season today, but
> it looks like the next one is to the dealer.  After the usual bathroom
> stop at McDonalds, the ABS lights didn't turn off when rolling.  I
> stopped the bike, turned off the ignition, restarted, and the same
> thing happened.  Once more on the ride the ignition was turned off,
> and the ride resumed after an hour.  Same thing.  No ABS.
>
> Are there checks I can make to possibly correct the situation, or is
> this a trip to the dealer for sure?

I assume you are waiting a few seconds between turning the key to the "on"
position and firing up the engine, and that this part of the ABS test cycle
completes without issues, as described in your owners manual (the process is
different for semi-linked and linked brakes versus unlinked brakes). And the
only part of the ABS test cycle that fails is the ~3 mph ride-away test
during which you should hear a little clatter and the ABS lights should turn
off. Correct? If so, then the limits of my mechanical skills, which could be
far below yours or other list members, would have the following done:

(1) Visually inspect both front and rear ABS sensors for physical damage or
debris.

(2) Ensure the sensors are gapped correctly as described in the owners
manual.

(3) Retest the ABS. If you still have a fault, see your trusted BMW Motorrad
wrench. He can get an error code dump from the bike's computer to determine
why it *believes* the ABS has faulted, and take appropriate follow-up steps.

Some folks may suggest that you clear the computer's fault code and see if
the problem returns before you enlist the services of a mechanic. I'm a
little more risk-adverse in that I would rather not take the chance of
discovering that my ABS has failed at the moment when I need it. As they say
in the software industry, "problems that magically disappear can magically
return." Good luck.

- -Steve Makohin
 2001 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada