Re: RS and "bozos"

Tom,  Just a note of encouragement.  I didn't think your reply on this
topic was over the top at all.  I really enjoy reading your stuff.

One nit to pick though, is that you have several times referred to the
Lentini holed piston.  I think he acknowledged that he was in error
with his advanced timing recommendation, and I would suspect that that
was the cause of this failure.  Much more so than the mid grade fuel.
Of course, these two things work together, but I don't think he was
wise to advance the timing just because you can on most engines.  With
a compression ratio like the oil heads have, timing is not something to
second guess the factory on.

On the other hand, BMW has had a big thing about premium gas for many
years.  This comes from the days when their engines were carboning up
on lower octane fuels that didn't provide the detergent package that hi
test did.  The gas companies now provide complete detergent packages in
all grades, and this is no longer the problem it once was.

Bob Hadden '98RS, '62R27 (runs on regular)