Re: valve adjustment

Kevin Kerr wrote:

> No need to remove the tupperware on a R1100RT to do valve adjustment.
>
> Just get yourself a long-handled screwdriver and a magic marker of
> some sort. Remove spark plugs as per usual and turn engine using the
> back wheel after placing transmission into 5th. Slowly turn the
> engine, keeping the screwdriver gently inserted into the spark plug
> hole. When the screwdriver has reached it's maximum distance into the
> engine, that is when one cylinder is at bottom dead centre (or top
> dead centre - can't remember which). Mark the screwdriver with the
> marker where it exits from the engine and you now know when one
> cylinder is at the proper position for a valve adjustment. Again,
> can't remember (advancing old age) which cylinder is ready for valve
> adjustment when that measurement is reached, but it's obvious anyways.
> Repeat for other cylinder.
>
> You might want to do this the first time with the fairing off so you
> can confirm the cylinder position using the timing hole. I don't know
> about the throttle bodies as I have my dealer do this.
>
> I take no credit for this method - learned it here or on the big list.
> It has saved me tons of time and much beer. Not only is taking the
> fairing off a pain in the butt, but replacing the timing hole cover
> without shoving it into the engine can cause much frustration.

Top dead center (TDC) is the spot where you want to adjust the valves.
It is when the piston is at the top of it's stroke, so it is when the
screwdriver (or wooden chopstick, which is less likely to scratch
anything) is as far out as it will go.

- --
Bob
     Eventual Master of the Obvious
  R1200GS CB750F DoD EMOTO BMWMOA SOHC4
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun