Re: valves adjustments

It is ironic that most of us love to work on the valve adjustment  and tweak the mechanics of our bike, but almost universally  we all hate to remove the tupperware.

Once you get over whacking the crap out of the mirrors to remove them, and the intimidation of remembering where each of the 4 different sized screws go, It really isn't a problem but I still find it the least fun of doing a tune up.

Somethings that I have found that help..

Remove the screws with an electric drill, makes it faster, but don't install them that way as stripping them out is a real potential.

Make a diagram of the body work and stick the screws into the diagram at the right locations.  The back of a styrofoam tray works real well and is reusable.

If in doubt about a screw location always start with the shortest one,  If it isn't right one it won't grab and you will know to use a longer one.

Find a good place to set the tupper ware down, before you have it in your hands dancing around the garage.  A nice soft blanket works well and they can be stacked, but don't put them were they will be walked or tripped over.

When re-installing, start all the screws before you tighten any, this way you won't get to the last one and realize the clip fell out and now you have to take it all off again to retrieve it.

Be most careful of the screws on the tank.  they are threaded inserts and they don't replace, so a stripped out one there is a not so happy occurence.

Try to not wait too long to reinstall the tupperware, your mind quickly forgets the little details and you tend to make mistakes... also don't try to do it when you are tired or rushed,  It takes all the fun out of it, and you will hate it even more the next time.

and try to think of it not as a seperate task but just one phase of the total work... and enjoy it... why not wax the panels while you have them off, the bike will look even better when you get it back together and you won't feel like it was a waste...

hope this helps...some of these points are lessons learned by experience...

Paige Poole