Re: valves adjustments

Some great comments, Paige! I have added a few more...

PLPKLT@xxxxxxx wrote:

>It is ironic that most of us love to work on the valve adjustment  and tweak the mechanics of our bike, but almost universally  we all hate to remove the tupperware.
>
>Once you get over whacking the crap out of the mirrors to remove them, and the intimidation of remembering where each of the 4 different sized screws go, It really isn't a problem but I still find it the least fun of doing a tune up.

On the R12GS they are all the same length.  Let's hope that this is the
trend for all the new models. After all, it simplifies parts stocking at
the factory, so saves them money.

>Somethings that I have found that help..
>
>Remove the screws with an electric drill, makes it faster, but don't install them that way as stripping them out is a real potential.

Generally speaking, when using a powered wrench of any kind, break the
fastener free with your own muscle power and do the final tightening
with your own muscle power; use the air wrench or electric drill or
power screwdriver only for running the fastener in or out. This way,
you'll never strip anything. And, always start the threads by hand.

>Find a good place to set the tupper ware down, before you have it in your hands dancing around the garage.  A nice soft blanket works well and they can be stacked, but don't put them were they will be walked or tripped over.

You can often hang them with a bungee cord. They take up less space when
vertical.

- --
Bob
     Eventual Master of the Obvious
  R1200GS CB750F DoD EMOTO BMWMOA SOHC4
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun