Re: ABS

From: "Robert Jenkins" <robert.jenkins@xxxxxxx>

> On Jan 14, 2005, at 8:54 PM, Steve Makohin wrote:
>
>> You are confusing the "utilization" of a device with the "usefullness" of
>> a device. For example, I find my car's seatbelts to be very useful, even
>> though I have never utilized them by restraining me in an vehicular
>> incident (I haven't had a meaningful one). Ditto with the fire and theft
>> insurance I carry on all my vehicles, house and contents. I make use of
>> these things not because I have needed them in the past, but because I
>> perceive the cost of getting and using these things to justify the risks
>> that they mitigate.
>
> Insurance is a form of gambling. You are betting you will need insurance
> and the insurance company is betting you won't. I guess the same could be
> said for ABS. ABS is good (as long as it works)  but, I am not going to
> limit my bike purchases based on whether or not that bike has ABS. I would
> be missing out on a lot of great motorcycles.

Amen! For me, I feel almost as "exposed" riding without ABS as I do riding
without appropriate gear. But that's just me. That's why I shy away from
bikes without ABS, even though they are great bikes.

>> Using your "reasoning", we may similary (and wrongfully) conclude that if
>> a helmeted rider rides a motorcycle for years and has never had an
>> incident, then he "never really found a need for [a motorcycle helmet]",
>> and may as well do without.
>
> To say nothing of those who have had accidents without wearing helmets and
> came through in one piece...  :-}

It's not prudent to bet on the exception and hope to make a rule of it.
Precious few people have been successful in the "win the lottery for my
retirement rather than saving and investing" aproach. Ditto for people who
have had motorcycle incident and were better off without a helmet. I'm not
saying it doesn't happen. I am saying the stats in favor of these exceptions
are dismal.

> BTW, as I have stated before, I do not put ABS in the same category as a
> good helmet. you could be T-boned by a car and your ABS would not help in
> the least, the helmet may just save your life.

And as I have stated, helping to *prevent* an incident is an entirely
different animal than reducing or eliminating injury once you are already
participating in an incident. *Both* are a really good idea. One does not
negate the other. Y'know, an "ounce of prevention" and that sort of thing.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada