Re: Best Statement on this list so far...

From: "Bruno Valeri" <bvaleri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I selected my words carefully because I do no imply that every Unconscious
Competent will then become complacent. It is a *risk*, perhaps a high risk in
cases, but it is not a certainty. One way to mitigate rider complacency is to
play the "How Will This Situation Try To Kill Me" game every time you ride,
all the time while you ride. It takes a heavy dose of mental discipline and
focus. I have yet to attain a perfect score in this area.

To tie this into the topic at hand, ABS is a great safety net for those of us
who have attained a less than perfect score in 100% rider focus on risk
mitigation while riding. It's not guaranteed to save your butt (as the manual
says), but it goes a long way in helping to prevent wheel lockup which can
lead to a skid and subsequent loss of vehicular control.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada

"Speed doesn't kill. But sudden deceleration trauma can be a bitch."
                                                   - Steve Makohin