Re: Carb switching.... very crazy but very rewarding

In a message dated 2/3/05 11:38:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dr.ben@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Few  hobbyist biker activities are more challenging, rewarding, frustrating,
and  beneficial that carb switcheroos. CRAZY. I've done it twice on  Airheads
with never-before-attempted carbs.... crazy. Carbs are very very  subtle and
have maybe 6-8 variables which you must tamper with to get  passable
performance. And not cheap.

Funny that you mention it. I have had three clients  over the years who
insisted on doing carb swaps on their bikes over and over. I  "labeled" all three
the "crazies". None of their bikes ever ran as well as they  did when set up
with the stock carbs.

    For race bikes I have done many carb setups and  even a mechanical fuel
injection setup on a 750cc BMW GP bike (I didn't really  DO that one, I
assisted Udo Gietl while he did it.) But I learned early on that  just getting
oddball carbs to work on the track is very difficult, and that's  miles easier than
for a streetbike.

    If I were a hobbyist, I might be engaged by such an  endeavor. As a
professional mechanic, spending after-work time in the shop is  abhorrent to me.

Tom
Tom