From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Ben Barkow
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 7:57 AM
To: oilheads
Subject: Re: Octane? Tachron in Water Torture?

My poor understanding of octane is this. High octane means "slower
burning." In other words, it is like retarding the spark. That alone
explains some otherwise unaccountable phenomena occurring when you
experiment with octane.

I am not sure if high octane also means some chemical inoculation to
knock is present in the brew or just that reduced knocking is a
consequence of slower burning (that is, retarding).

In fact, lower octane gas has more oomph in some sense I can't remember.

Sometimes octane is mistakenly taken as a generic metric of goodness
similar to the false adherence to stiff springs, high pre-loads, stuff
made by Bing or Bosch or....

Of course, our local Banana Gas (PetroCan) has Tachtrol (same, I am
quite sure, to the good stuff Techron in Chevron) in double-dose in the
hi-test, which fosters the illusion. it is the only additive, Marvel and
alky aside, that is widely endorsed by those who might have reason to
know.

Tachtrol/Techron is the coward's answer to the Water Torture. Anybody
ever tried using Techron in the Water Torture???

Ben
Toronto (some nice scooting weather this past weekend but some nice snow
expected today)