Re: New bikes

Hello Bob,

From: "Minor, Bob" <Bminor@xxxxxxxx>

> Is anybody getting excited over the new 1200's? As good as the GS's are,
> I don't consider them for myself due to seat height issues.  But
> yesterday I received a brochure from the dealer in Eugene, Oregon and I
> have to admit I may be smitten by the ST. They have a picture of one in
> red and silver and with a claim of 110 HP (yeah right) and 435 lbs (is
> that dry?) it does appear to be a huge leap over my 96 RS.  In fact, if
> those numbers are even close to correct I can't see why they would still
> offer the 1100S.  But they do.

The word is that the R1100S is no longer being made, and the units you see
in showrooms are old stock. I have heard a rumor (no hard facts) that a
R1200S "has been seen", but I am not putting stock in this statement at this
time.

> I've always thought my next bike would in fact be an RT, but the picture
> in this brochure shows the ugliest thing I've seen in years.  The bike
> shown is grey and silver and the body work appears to be a hodgepodge of
> panels without any sort of continuity or flow.  Maybe they look better
> on the showroom floor but the photographs suck.  Not a look that I think
> I could get used to.  Any RT in my future would have to be 2004 or
> earlier.  But that ST....

I resonate with you regarding the RT's "thrown together" look. In pictures,
I think it looks ugly. When you see it in person, it's a different
experience (though still not attractive). BMW did a nice job in preserving
the "luxury" elements, like molded hydraulics reservoirs, but the fairing
and body panels really do look pieced together with deliberate gaps between
panels which end up looking like a poor fit. It reminds me of a toy
"transformer" that is about to turn into a robot. The saddle bags and tail
end look attractive.

To my eye, the ST's front end looks nothing short of hideously disfigured.
The light occupies more that the full height of the fairing (twin lights
mounted atop each other?) The body panels, although they follow BMW's new
"patchwork" styling direction, fit together more cohesively than the RT.
Again, the styling is not what I'd call attractive, but rather Bavarian
functional/quirky. If the bikes prove to be awesomely reliable, or solid
performers, people will be able to overlook the quirky styling in favor of
these strongly positive traits.

The K1200S is easily the most handsome of the new generation of bikes,
though it looks pretty much Asian in its styling. I don't feel we can fault
BMW because they have finally "got with the program" and had form follow
function with a 4-across engine of a UJM. The surprisingly good ergonomics
make the K1200S a distance sports bike that can be taken comfortably in
large doses. The down side, in my view, are the tiny (though stylish) and
non water-proof saddle bags. If the K1200S was dressed in GT clothing, it
would be noteworthy, regardless of brand.

The styling faux pas shared by all the new BMW bikes is the bazooka-style
exhaust cannister. BMW seems to have followed the styling misstep of
Yamaha's Road Warrior in slapping on a huge (by volume) exhaust can. Good
for low noise. Irritating on the eyes. To me, this represents tacking on
another grand or more onto an already expensive bike to buy an after-market
exhaust that at least looks good. But that's okay, because we BMW owners
have deep pockets ;-)

I ride an '01 R1100S, and so far, BMW doesn't offer anything that suits me
better for than my current machine. For me, my S is still the best
all-arounder for a guy who can afford only one bike. That's a 100%
subjective call, though. Bottom Line: If the bike works for you, and you
enjoy it, then it's a good bike for you.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS