[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Brake bleeder?

In a message dated 4/26/05 8:34:46 PM Eastern  Standard Time, 
dr.ben@xxxxxxxxx writes:
<<On my left front brake  caliper (1999 R1100S, non-ABS) is an ordinary 
looking bleeder nipple and  rubber cap.

But on my right caliper in the corresponding spot is a 1 inch  long 
plastic cylinder about 7/16 in diameter. On the end of that cylinder  
(with the head sort of facing the gas tank) is  a small   phllips-head 
screw oriented down into the caliper, like into the hole where  the 
bleeder hole would be, through the center of the cylinder.

What  is this little cylinder? Is it used for bleeding the brakes  

That is the "grub screw" fitting  used with BMW's dealer-only pressure 
bleeding apparatus. You can remove the grub  screw and collar and fit a speed 
bleeder or standard bleed nipple like the the  other side. Hint, use HEA to break 
the very strong Loctite used on the collar  and screw.

You can do the same thing on the clutch  bleeder ssetup, which is cleverly 
hidden along the frame cross tube inside a  foam sleeve. 

Tom Cutter
Yardley, PA
"What's the point of  being stupid if you're not going to show it?"
Rubber Chicken Racing Garage  Apparel coming VERY soon. Inquire here.  


End of oilheads-digest V2 #100