Re: mounting head protectors on R1100

- --- conrad long <conradlong@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On  Sat, 28 May 2005 13:22:56 -0400
> "Steve Makohin" wrote
>
> My possibly incorrect understanding is that the metal
> head covers got gouged as well as the plastic protectors, so when it
> came to
> restoring the bike to pristine condition, the cost was higher than
> just replacing the head covers.
>
> - -Steve Makohin
>   '01 R1100S/ABS
>   Oakville, Ontario, Canada
>
> I concur with that opinion. I finally chucked mine after they
> shattered on a
> tip-over in cold weather. The head covers still got marked up. JMHO.
>
> Conrad Long
> '94 R11RSA
> Fraser, CO, USA

Folks,

I suppose the value of the valve cover guards is up to the individual.
I am not concerned about whether the guards will allow my valve covers
to be "gouged" or "marked up" in a tipover.

My hope is that the guards might prevent the cracking or puncturing of
a valve cover, and subsequent stranding of me and my bike, while we're
1000+ miles from home.  But, I'm a function-over-form kind of guy.

Pete Migli
South Miami, Florida, USA