  From: Bob Hadden
  To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 5:31 PM
  Subject: Re: Spark Plugs and other stuff.

  Just one note on bearings and seals.  Ball bearings are rated based on
  the design life under their designed load.  A typical rating would be
  the B10 rating, listed in a number of hours where 10% of the bearings
  would fail.  There is another hour rating at 5% and 1% etc.  The actual
  numbers aren't important unless you are the design engineer, but the
  concept is important to us users.

  If a bearing or seal fails at, say, 10000 miles, it was likely one of
  those 10% (or 5%, or 1% depending on the selection the engineer made)
  that are just going to fail.  So you replace it and move on.

  If, at 10000 miles (or 120000 miles in Bob Silas's case) you decide to
  replace a bearing or seal that hasn't failed, you may not have done
  yourself any favors.  The fact that the original bearing hasn't failed,
  means it's one of the good ones.  You have no idea if the one you put
  in is a good one or not.  So it's a crap shoot to some degree.  I have
  no idea what the design life of the bearings in our bikes is, but it's
  something to think about when you decide to change out a good bearing.

  This above logic also applies to seals.  If the seal isn't leaking,
  don't mess with it.  If you take something apart anyway, you should
  always replace the seal, because you could well have wrecked it when
  taking apart the item.

  Some of this goes back to the old saying:  If it ain't broke, don't fix
  it.

  Bob,  Don't get me wrong here.  I'm not saying you shouldn't have
  changed out the parts you did.  After all, 120k is a bunch of miles.

  OK,  Time to go back to riding.

  Bob Hadden '05R12GS, '62R27