Rear End Whine

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:01:53 -0400
"John Laughter" wrote:

My bike has developed a whine between 55 MPH and 65 MPH.  Above and bolow
that speed it sounds normal.  It's an R1100RT 2000 with 48,000 miles.  The
speed of the engine has no affect on the whine and it's the same in either
fourth or fifth gear.  The wheels spin freely and smoothly and don't seem to
have a wheel bearing problem.  What else should I check?

     A slim possibility here: what tires are you running? Mt RS had a nasty
rear end whine at certain speeds with Bridgestone 020s. It went away with
different tires. Lots less expensive solution, if that's the cause.

Conrad Long
'94 R1100RSA
Fraser, CO USA