oil consumption

Is oil consumption to be expected? Picking up an R1100R this weekend in
Nebraska and will be riding 1200 mi home to south Texas. Should I expect
to need a spare quart handy? (The bike has around 32k mi.) I guess it
would be prudent to have one anyway, but if I burn oil with a bike of
that mileage is that a caution flag?

Also, re general oil stuff -- here's a report I found via Google:
http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/oilreport.html

I understand that search rankings in Google have to do with how many
times a page is referenced in the 'net (among other things). That this
page comes up in the top ten must say a bit about BMW riders and oil
obsession. :>

- --
Mark