helmet funk

Someone here on one of the lists suggested a couple of wads of news
print be stuffed into your helmet following use. This be done as the
inks would absorb the "nasties" that are developing. I tried this. It
works. I've done this a number of years now and my helmets have
stayed fresh through their life. Of course I periodically disassemble
them and wash the soft parts separately, and use Woolite. Only with
one helmet did I feel compelled to wash the shell and absorber. This
I did as well in Woolite, immersing the whole thing and "swooshing"
it about gently. Should you de this, ensure that it is completely dry
before using as you're at risk of encouraging new "growth". Final
note..it helps to have a clean head to start with, sans gels and
goos, gear-oil or whatever. And if it suites your life style, a
"doo-rag" of social statement helps.

Steve Miller
'02 R1150RS
Agoura, CA