Re: poly-v-belt

In a message dated 10/20/05 11:20:40 AM Eastern  Standard Time,
HDBESQ@xxxxxxx writes:
There is no doubt in my mind that the  belt can fail.  I can imagine that a
thrashing belt is not going to  help the HES.  I'm not convinced that belt
failures are directly  related to tensioning technique.  I know several
people who
have had  original belts fail at low mileage.  Bad belt, or improper
tensioning
at the factiory?  I tend to think the former.  I appreciate your
point-of-view,
however.>>

I think improper  tensioning at the initial service by the dealer.
Retensioning was called out in  the 600-mile service on the early Oilheads, and most
mechanics i have talked to  about it seem to have a very hazy understanding of
how to do the job correctly.  Virtually every owner-tensioned one I have seen
was WAY too tight, which does  promote failure. Add that the early ones were bad
belts, and that the belts are  exposed to airborne road grit that can get
bounced up in there under the  alternator, and there is a problem area for
Oilheads.

Tom  Cutter
Yardley, PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com