Re: How to make your EVO (powered) brakes less grabby (was "Re: ABS:)

From: "Steve Makohin" <wateredg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> [...]
>
> I have no data to support or to refute your assertion, but I must be an
> exception. Since I received performance training, I use two fingers to
> brake. Yet every time I have been surprised and had to grab and handful of
> brake, I use four fingers. I speculate that my "instinct" is to grab the
> brake lever with full force, while my consciously "decided action" in a
> non-emergency braking situation is to use two fingers.

I have rotated the levers on my bikes so that they are slightly below my
fingers with an open, relaxed hand, and I ride with two open hands. I have
four fingers resting on the brake lever always and four on the clutch. I
don't do this for any safety reason, more for comfort. I'm quite happy using
the throttle in the crook between my thumb and forefinger and the fringe
benefit is that the brake (and clutch) is always immediately available. Even
so I tend to vary my braking in the same way that Steve does - that is, for
preplanned stops I just finesse with a couple of fingers, but for panic
stops (unthinkingly) grab a handful.

More spirited riding on the GSXR gets me hanging on a bit, but even then,
only if I'm moving around on the seat.

To each his own

Mike Wilson

Lilydale, Tasmania