Non ABS GS

Patrick:

After owning 2 servo/ABS braked RTs, I wouldn't be too put off by the new
system.   I do my own work on my bike for everything except brake service
and let the dealer do that.  It's just more convenient for me and a bit
cheaper...and I'm sure it gets done right.   I'm frankly glad to have some
sort of maintenance task for them to perform.   They charge me whatever
their rate is for brake service and it keeps me bonded to the service
department in case I really need them someday.

The newer servo/ABS system is really pretty good...and very effective in an
emergency, which I've had maybe twice.   One of the two times, I don't think
I'd have been able to stop in time without the servo.   I was in tight
traffic on a four-lane undivided curving main suburban street at rush hour
and someone about 4 cars up decided at the last minute to make a liesurely
right hand turn without signalling.   Everyone was suddenly hard on the
binders.  I was planning a lane change, but the car behind did that leaving
me even less time to stop.   When you pull those servo brakes hard, they
stop RIGHT NOW!  Still, I like good, non ABS non servo brakes.   I could go
either way at this point.

My point is, the new brakes shouldn't be a deal breaker either way.   Mine
probably saved me thousands of bucks and the considerable hassle and
embarrassment of needing to repair a nearly new RT, but it might never
happen to a thousand other riders.   For that margin of safety, you have to
put up with more complex servicing and that grabbiness, which isn't as bad
on the newer systems, but is still there.  It can be dealt with, but it's
kind of non-intuitive, especially on the early system.  If you're looking at
an early Hexhead GS, non-servo might be better overall.

- -TB