Parking lights - how long should the battery last?

Hi,

Last week I had to - ouch - ask a cager to help me start my bike. I
left it in the parking lot at a customer's site in the morning with
the parking lights on and when I came back there wasn't enough juice
left in the battery to start the bike.

My bad, but I would expect that the parking lights would take longer
to drain the battery. I just rode ~50 miles so I would expect the
battery to be fully charged when I parked the bike. It was cold-ish,
around freezing point, and I left the bike for around 8 hours.

Is it a signal that I have to start thinking about a new battery (I
guess that this is the original one from '99) or should I just be more
careful?

TIA,

Cees