Shocks and Springs (longish)

Gregory:

In my experience, there are approximately three kinds of riders:

The first is what I'll call the basic rider, (full touring and cruiser
riders sometimes fit into this catagory too) He or she rides a motorcycle on
the same roads and at the same speeds as a family car, takes the interstate
if he wants to go somewhere and doesn't ride much over the limit unless he's
riding in a straight line.   This is the type of rider is always trying to
get the last mile out of his tires and doesn't really understand what the
deal is with shocks.   Some of these riders are high mileage guys, some are
just occasional riders.  Most Harley and Cruiser riders fit into this
catagory because ground clearance is so limited on this type of bike.

Second is the BMW (And other Euro and some Japanese bike) Touring/Sport
Touring sort of rider.   This is the guy who takes a lot of back roads,
enjoys a road with good, tight, curvy "technical" sections.  He may pack a
weeks worth of gear on his bike, he may camp, he may not.  He appreciates
great handling on his bike and knows what a bike feels like with a working
suspension and good tires.

Third is the racer/Track Day junkie.   This guy is looking for lap times,
brake points, apexes and lean angles.  His bike may be trailered to the
track and used for that purpose only.   He's not concerned about road-worthy
comfort because he's not riding very far.  He changes tires often, uses low
track inflation pressures and makes a science out of setting up his bike.

The seminar recommended on the link in the last digest seems to be oriented
toward the third type of rider.

I have done track schools and even have a sport bike, but I'm definitely in
the second group as far as the riding I do the most and like the most.
I've talked with a lot of guys in the #3 catagory and I don't generally
agree with them about suspensions and how to set them because I'm looking
for a different sort of balance between ride and road dynamics than they
are, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you are a #1 rider, chances are that you won't really care much one way
or the other about your shocks.   If you're happy with your bike the way it
is, don't spend any more money on it.  Just ride.

If you have a BMW Oilhead suspension with more than 30K miles, you  ought to
have a look at the rear shock damping setting.  Chances are, you're getting
almost zero rebound damping.   Look on the bottom of the rear shock on the
right side of the bike.   There is an adjustment screw there.  Clockwise is
more damping, CCW is less.   Turn this screw clockwise until it's snug.
Don't overtighten.   Ride your bike around.   Does it feel better?   Is it
harsh?

If it feels better, as in more controlled, you've got some rebound damping
left and it's not so much that it's overpowering the spring.  That's good.

If the ride suddenly gets very bumpy, try increasing the rear spring preload
one full turn and see if things get a little better.  If you notice
improvement, keep tightening in increments until something bad happens, then
back off half a turn.   This is probably as good as it's gonna get for you
without buying new shocks.

The front end is not adjustable on RTs or Rs.  I think you can adjust the GS
front end rebound damping, but I'm not sure.

Some symptoms I've had of really bad shocks are harshness on bumps, a
feeling that the bike is out of control on bumps, especially in turns and
finally, the bike seems to sort of porpose up and down in the back when you
hit a dip.   Kind of like an old Buick, if you know what I mean.  Many
people own old Buicks and are perfectly happy with the 130,000 mile shocks
on them that were too soft when they were new.   I say, let them drive slow
and be happy with their motion sickness.   I am not among them.

When I bought my set of Ohlins, I noticed 1. That the ride was more plush.
The bike floated over small bumps.  It was never harsh even over bigger
bumps.   I used to count on getting at least one compression "zing" in my
back on every ride in spite of my efforts to find expansion joints and stand
up a little on the bike when I ran over them...I'd always miss a bad one and
get that dull aching pain once or twice.   With the Ohlins, I could sit
straight up on the bike (an RT) over almost any bump without getting this.
2. The tires stayed connected to the road better.   If I hit some little
bumps on a curve, the bike didn't move around.   After I became accustomed
to this new benefit, I found I was much more confident in the curves.   I
could keep my eye on the line and just go without worrying so much about
every little pavement undulation.   3.  The rear of the bike would compress
once and recover from a big dip in the road.  It never porposed up and
down...like the above mentioned old Buick.

I've since changed from an 1100RT to and 1150, which has a completely
different suspension setup.   I found an Ohlins tech that was able to order
up some parts and convert my shocks/springs to the 1150 spec.   This was
great as it saved me a lot of money and hassle selling and then buying new
ones.   Now I have a 1200RT...different setup again.   I was not able to
upgrade the Ohlins this time, so I sold them.   I now have a set of Wilbers
for the 1200.  This time, I got the full setup with high and low speed
compression damping and ride height adjustment.   I'm very happy with the
Wilbers although it took me a while to get them set the way I like them.

Being a rider who does long distance as well as back road carving on many
sorts of road surfaces, I found that the Sport Touring settings that came
with my Wilbers shocks were too strongly damped for me.   I started by
leaving the front at the stock settings and setting the rear spring so it
sagged about 2 inches or a little less from full extension with me on the
bike.  Then, I rode it with the suspension fully soft, then I stiffened the
rebound just enough to take the porposing out of the ride.  I worked on the
compression damping last.  I moved both the low and high speed compression
screws together at first, just increasing two clicks at a time until the
ride started to feel stiff and backing it off two clicks from there. Then, I
went back to the rebound damping and tweaked it a little more...one or two
clicks.   I want the softest ride I can get without chassis control.
That's what I like best for a BMW.

I rode it that way for quite a while, making spring adjustment and maybe a
two clicks of rebound adjustment only, for a loaded bike.  One day I got
tired of the front feeling so much stiffer than the rear, so I backed off
the rebound damping about 3 clicks and the bike was transformed.  It now
feels like the front and rear of the bike work together.  It's very comfy
and it has all the control I need.

I then worked on increasing the low speed compression a bit more than the
high speed.  This gives the bike less squat on aceleration, but it also
deteriorates the ride a little bit.  More than 4 clicks difference is
probably a waste.  In fact, I think both are now within 2 clicks of each
other.   It's perfect for me.

The trick is to remember the goal of keeping the bike as soft as possible
with controlled ride motions.   Always start with the spring preload and get
that set right first.   Next do the rebound, next the compression.  Then
look at the preload again and possibly back it down a click or two...no
more.

There's an obvious point on each damping adjustment where the ride starts to
cross the line into "firm" as you increase damping.  When you hit that, just
back off a bit.

Another interesting thing is that the spring rate affects how the damping
works.   A lot of people think tightening down on the spring always makes
the ride stiffer, but sometimes just the opposite happens.

The most uncomfortable ride is when you have more shock damping than spring
strength.  If the ride feels harsh and you don't have a damping adjustment,
try tightening the spring preload a little and see if the ride gets better
or worse.   If rebound damping is too strong, the supension hits a bump and
compresses, the compression damping doesn't allow it to recover.  You hit
another series of bumps and the suspension compresses a little more each
time and each time doesn't fully recover.   Pretty soon the suspension is
riding on the bottom of the stroke and you get VERY uncomfortable.  Tighten
the spring in this situation and the recovery is faster and the bike will
ride in the center of the suspension's travel where it's supposed to be.

>My bike is a 2002 R1150R with 31K on it.

>I've heard and read in different places that the factor shocks and
>springs wear out around 30K. What would be the signs that your shocks
>and springs are starting to go bad and need to be replaced?

My '99 RT's shocks were shagged at about that mileage.   I think I suffered
for another 10K miles or so.  The bike wasn't horrible, really.  I'd never
ridden a bike with really great shocks on it, so I didn't know what I was
missing.  When I put on the Ohlins, well, it's a whole different
thing...better than new.

If your bike isn't turning in correctly, it's more likely that you've put
too many straight-line miles on the tires, both front and rear, but
especially the rear, and they have changed shape.   The rear, because it has
to deal with engine torque against the street as the bike moves down the
road, is the most vulnerable.  The tire gets flat in the middle with near
square corners on the sides instead of a smooth radius to the sidewalls.
The front does the braking, so front tires can get the same problem, but
fronts usually last longer unless you do a lot of stop and go.  When you
ride straight with squared off tires, you can let go of the handlebars and
the bike stays straight...kind of fun, really.   Lean the bike, however, and
it resists until you get over this sharp corner on the edge of the tires,
then the bike seems to fall into the turn.   When you turn with these tires,
you're either riding "uphill" onto the square corner, on the square corner,
which can be a very small contact patch or "downhill" off the square corner,
where the bike feels like it's falling into the turn.  Handling is weird in
any of these scenarios and fighting it becomes a nuisance.

Your bike can still be turned and the tires are still safe for most things,
but handling is a lot less intuitive and more of a chore.  I've found that
Metzler's have stiffer sidewalls than Bridgestones and they are more
disagreeable when they get this squared condition.  Although Metz Z6s are
about the stickiest and best tires around for riding hard in the twisties,
when they get squared off on the interstates, they really don't work the
same at all.   Getting new shocks will not fix this.   Just get some new
tires.

If you're not ready for new tires, lowering air pressure down to what BMW
recommends helps the situation sometimes.

For what it's worth,

- -TB