RE: Shocks and Springs

Gregory,
You will get a lot of advice as to how c..p the OEM shocks are and that you
should fit this make or that within a week of buying your new bike and so
on.

I have never looked at my dampers, after setting the R at 3 preload IIRC in
1996 and setting the RT on the "Normal" setting IIRC in 2001.   At first the
ride was a bit "harsh" but they have now settled down to a very comfortable
ride (R@81000km and RT@65000km).

I use my bikes every day as utility vehicles with the hard bags loaded so
that I can hardly lift them (Often the R almost lifts it's front wheel off
the ground when using the sidestand).  I also use the bikes for recreational
riding most weekends and also during the week.  I have to have springs that
are functional for me ie. stiff enough for full load and also good for fun
in the twisties.  I have found the OEM setup to suit me perfectly and I can
only wonder when I hear of people having to have leaking dampers repaired
etc. as I have had no problems at all.  IMO the shocks are like the engine -
they have to "wear in" a while.

But then, I suppose here in the third world we have roads that are perfectly
smooth compared to US :)

Just my 2c
Regards
Clive Liddell