Re: Shocks and Springs

On 2/10/06, Clive Liddell <cliddell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But then, I suppose here in the third world we have roads that are perfectly
> smooth compared to US :)

I wouldn't be surprised, with all that talk about potholes and stuff
over in the USofA ;-)

Over here we have entirely different problems. At least, where I
temporarily live now - in the west of the Netherlands, where all the
land has been reclaimed from the sea hundreds of years ago. Large
parts used to be swamps, which means that roads here lie partly on
thick layers of peat, partly on old river beds, etcetera - the ground
recedes under load everywhere, but it happens at various rates. I'll
leave it to your imagination what happens to roads in these
circumstances (when I'm sporty, I regularly fly over the bumps...).

Anyway, based on all the talk here and stories on BMWRT.COM, plus the
fact that from 48tkm to 68tkm (the time I've owned my R1100RT)
handling has notably deteriorated, I decided to shop for alternative
shocks. Turned out the Ohlins importer had a set of shocks that were
used for a magazine test, 30% off (905 euro for a set including VAT,
S/H), so I ordered them immediately :-).

I'll let you know how I faire (it might be a couple of weeks before I
move into my new house where all my tools and stuff are available
again).

OBTW - in my new house, I can wrench again. So apart from the fact
that I'm now officially looking for an R80 wreck to restore, I can
start doing service on the R1100RT myself. Is there a checklist
somewhere for the "small" and "big" inspections?