Re: clutch housing and pressure plate

As I see it, it's a matter of the relative cost of parts vs. labor
and downtime:
if it's your labor, and you enjoy it, and you're ready to get less
life out of your second friction disk than the first, and if you
don't mind your bike being cold and in pieces for a few days now and
then, and if the pressure plate and inner plate aren't worn out of
spec, then leave these parts for a second go and replace them when
they're worn out of spec.  I've heard of a rare spring failure, but
I've never heard of an abrupt clutch failure due to the plates giving
up.

If, OTOH, you're paying someone else for labor, and it's just a
matter of economics, replacing all the parts at the same time is the
way to get the most life out of your new clutch, which will mean less
spent on labor and parts in the long run, and more time riding in the
mean time!

On Feb 14, 2006, at 7:13 AM, Tpcutter@xxxxxxx wrote:

> You should ALWAYS replace all four clutch parts when  replacing the
> clutch:
> spring, inner diaphragm plate, friction disc and outer  cover.

L. Allen Poole
home:	(503) 230-2933
mobile:	(503) 720-3742
e-mail:	allen@xxxxxxxxxxxx