RE: Preload importance; Factory Knows Best

On 2006 Feb  15 , at 4:47 AM, oilheads-digest wrote:

> So I've been wasting my time increasing the preload when my wife rides
> on the back?  Geez, I could have sworn the bike felt more stable and
> less vague up front.

Of course you are right to say that adding a not insubstantial weight
(delicately alluding to your wife) over the rear wheel (assuming your
manner of transporting your wife is conventional) markedly changes
things. And, for sure you can have your setting extremely far off
enough to drag your centerstand or upset your suspension geometry:
ordinarily I respect my fellow list-members enough not to emphasize the
obvious or to post obvious rejoinders to obvious exceptions obviously.
Wastes time.

Trivial fact: you know that rear strut height adjustment mechanism (on
the R1100S) that looks like a worm gear? Actually it is a hydraulic
mechanism. Bad consequences for anybody who takes it apart.

Ben