Re: Front shock static sag setting

In a message dated 2/18/06 9:11:59 PM Eastern  Standard Time,
schinkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I am setting up my R1150RA  after installing a Wilbers front shock.  I need
to know what the static  sag on the front forks should be?  Current static
sag is 1.42".

I find that the bike turns in well with about 2.75" of sag with rider
mounted. At least that works well with my S, and worked well with a GS that  I set
up with Ohlins shocks.

Contrary to popular opinion, sag setting is  a function of chassis geometry,
not of the individual shocks. Of course it is  SET at the shock, so it is easy
to think that it should be different with  different shocks.

Take the sag setting from the stock setup, and set up  for MORE sag for
quicker steering, LESS sag for improved high-speed stability.  With the proper sag
dialed in, the correct spring choice will give you the  correct preload and
spring rate. Then it is just a matter of setting your  rebound damping. I like
to set the front a little firmer than the Wilbes  engineers recommend, but most
guys find the recommended settign to be  fine.

Tom Cutter
Yardley,  PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com