Re: clutch housing and pressure plate

On Feb 14, 2006, at 12:28 PM, Tpcutter@xxxxxxx wrote:

> My  question is simple and to the point: How many BMW clutches have
> you
> installed?

5 or 6, on my and friends' R75, 80, 90, 100... airheads, mostly of
the older style but 1 of the style used on newer R100s and also
oilheads.

> How many started slipping shortly after you installed a new friction
> plate with  all the other old parts?

None.

> The resulting combination
> gives not enough to contain the torque of any R1100
> or 1150 engine.

Fine point. The difference between airhead/oilhead engine output
could account for our differing experiences.

Do you suppose riding style matters too? For example, the bikes I've
worked on are used day-to-day in town. I imagine that frequent
shifting and start/stop helps a friction disk mate to worn pressure
plate/ring, and that limited use of full-throttle engine output makes
slippage during initial break-in less likely.

Note that I'm not arguing that someone _ought to_ reuse old parts,
even on an airhead.

I stand by my empirical observation that doing so can provide
perfectly acceptable results, with the added qualification that my
results were with airhead motors.

Cheers,
Allen

L. Allen Poole