> LEARNING TO LIVE WITH HELMET HAIR
> MICHHLE  LEBLANC
>
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/
> RTGAM.20060222.wtblog0222/BNStory
>

> Darwin  lives!
>
> Tom Cutter
> Yardley,  PA
> http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com

Thanks to Steve and Tom. The mortality rate for bikes asymptotes as car
rates at about 5 yrs experience. Yes, Darwin indeed, I've always
thought, lousy riders get killed.

Current projects include bright LED license plate illumination and
bright LED deceleration lights. Also thinking of Testors Transparent
Window Tint (and there may be special plastic lens tint paint???) to do
black-out looks on the turn signals on my black R1100S with clear
lenses (did you know you can easily lightly spray silver BBQ paint on
the amber bulbs in clear lens turn signals?).

For deceleration (as in engine braking before hitting the brakes), I
tried mercury switches (like in old thermostats) and weighted
microswitches (you can set them for precisely .5 g by a simple
strategy) but both methods gave more false alarms on bumps than helped
with engine braking. Next I am going to try a vacuum switch set to
maybe 15 in/Hg.

I'm also thinking of ordering a Motorola MPX2100DP, $14, which is the
heart of the TwinMax, I'd guess. For making something better than a
TwinMax and for riding around with it for a while. I'm a firm believer
in cross-over pipe to join the intake manifolds (AKA vacuum port on the
bottom). Even a little pipe does some good, esp. if you are keen on
balance issues.

Due to cold weather, not sure of results of my winter mods. Quite
interesting to ride around with a 3-digit A/F gauge. You merely  have
to tap the black wire and voila. Pity a lot of automotive testing gear
(like the Tesla G-Force meter) is barely readable on sunny days. I do
my tests except for dual-vacuum gauges on overcast days. Next year I'm
going to build a ride-around timing light (only kidding... maybe).

Cheers.

Ben

Ben Barkow, Toronto... 40 seasons on Beemers, 45 as a biker

1961 R69s/rod, 1967-1999... really sup'ed up and fast

1984 R80RT/rod, 1998-2005  5 extra peak ponies in a wider flatter power
band,
   much modified 2-into-1 exhaust, CR 9.5, Keihin PJ 34mm oval carbs,
   Uni filter, dual-rate springs with cartridge emulators, BT45/S11,
Saeng fairing

1999 R1100S, 2004- Leo Vince exh, JetHot coatings, Techlusion 1031,
   large sticky foam filter, TB balance tube, debaffled exh xover, 12%
reduced front spring, 26 inch windscreen, air horns, Diablo Stratas