Re: Latest projects

At 11:55 AM -0500 3/23/06, Ben Barkow wrote:
>Current projects include bright LED license plate illumination and
>bright LED deceleration lights.
>
>For deceleration (as in engine braking before hitting the brakes), I
>tried mercury switches (like in old thermostats) and weighted
>microswitches (you can set them for precisely .5 g by a simple
>strategy) but both methods gave more false alarms on bumps than
>helped with engine braking. Next I am going to try a vacuum switch
>set to maybe 15 in/Hg.

Dr. Ben,

I've ridden behind riders with similar deceleration/engine-braking
lights... It was damn annoying to see brake lights come on as they
approached every... turn... on.. the... road...

I understand the motivation, but question the utility. I note that
the brake light(s) (I have red LEDs in my turnsignals that come one
with the 1157 bulb in the tail light) on my GS come one before the
brakes grab their disks, so I can effectively signal drivers (or
other followers) to back off without necessarily slowing down.

- --
- - Andrew, Berkeley, '00 R1150GS
- - "Moto per Mangiare, Mangiare per Moto"