Re: Head Stud and Nut Torqueing`

Tom and Bob:

Thanks so much for this recent round of input - I feel like I am getting
some advice on the studs issue that makes good sense. Definitely I will be
replacing the studs.

Is it possible that over-torquing the head nuts would have stripped the
aluminum threads in the case? I have considered helicoiling all the stud
holes, but am stymied: two of the four studs have locating collars around
them which are smaller ID than the helicoil OD. I suppose these are press
fit? I'm just concerned about overboring those holes during the helicoil
process. So I hink I will just go with new studs (no threadlock), head
gasket and a very intentional torquing of the head nuts (20Nm+90+90).

http://www.nabble.com/user-images/2621.png

Thanks again.

John Merlin Williams
1999 R1100RS
1999 Ducati SS750
Ann Arbor, MI
- --
Sent from the BMW Oilheads forum at Nabble.com.