Re: Head Stud and Nut Torqueing`

In a message dated 4/6/06 7:16:46 PM Eastern  Standard Time,
kbhadden@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
John,  Yes.  It is a  known issue that the studs pull out of the block
if over torqued.  Some  would say they pull out under normal servicing
(but this is the internet, so  you have to put a grain of salt on
everything you read).  I know people  helicoil them for the repair, but
don't know the details.  Tom can  probably provide that info.>>

I have heard of pulled studs in  Oilheads, but only saw one, and that was an
accident where the jug was pulled  and the block was otherwise damaged.

I Helicoil a LOT of Airhead blocks  where the factory overtightened a certain
stud for a period of four years and  NEVER admitted their error. In fact they
issued service bulletins blaming owners  and dealership mechanics for the
problem. I just did one today. I have one of  two specially made fixtures for
this highly specialized  repair.

Attempting to drill adn tap the block without an alignment  fixture is
certain to result in a crooked repair, that will rapidly fail again.  At that point,
the damage is unrepairable without totally stripping and welding  the block.

Want to torque your head studs without risking damage to the  studs? Follow
BMW instructions. They work. Make sure to loosen the nut at least  a half turn
before the initial torque. Want to find a magical torque figure as  Ben seems
so determined to do? Use 42 foot-pounds. When you get tired of the  head
gasket leaking, install a new one and then follow BMW instructions for  torque.

Tom Cutter
Yardley,  PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com